Thursday, April 25, 2013

Year 2 in Review

Doctor Who Second Season

First Doctor, William Hartnell

9 Serials, Companions: Ian, Barbara, Vicki, Susan, Steven

The Doctor: This season the Doctor was much more consistent than Season One - the writers seem to understand what to do with him.  He still fluctuated wildly between manic, intense, and stern, but that's something I am pretty sure we will all simply get used to.  With the departure this season of all three of his original companions, we have gotten to see his sentimental side, and his deepening fear and hatred for the Daleks as well.  His fondness for participating in, but not mucking up History is well established now, although, yes, I still note he will interfere in alien cultures just fine.  Now as a secondary to that, perhaps he really is just putting right what should never have gone wrong, but that's not as evident as it is with the Earth Historical Serials.  Still, He's much more the Doctor now than Curmudgeonly old Space Grandfather and Kidnapper.

Companions: Susan left us, with less development that I would have liked.  Ian and Barbara left, and I feel it was a tad premature - I'd have liked to have them around a little more, but it had been nearly two years and they were homesick.  The wonders of the Galaxy had been trying to kill them for long enough, and I will forgive them a well earned rest. Vicki jumped right into the roles vacated by Susan and Barbara - intelligent, clever, but young and, while well educated, still in need of instruction.  Steven's still new, however, and he has yet to grow on me.  He's an amalgam right now of Ian's charge forth nature and the Doctor's own curiosity - and curiosity is a wonderful trait in a companion, so I can hope for good things before he leaves us.

Continuity: So much came to light.  Other TARDISes. Other TARDIS Operators! Other time machines. Dalek Time Travel. History CAN be changed, it merely shouldn't.  We still do not know the Doctor's origin, his planet, or why he is on the run.  But we're familiar now with the TARDIS noise, and its' quirks - which seem to get quirkier every season.

Summary: Good Season.  Not too much more to add here.  The Pacing continues to hold the show back - not because it's slow. Don't get me wrong - I fully understand that the shows of the era were simply not as fast paced as what we are used to now.  No, I mean the repetitiveness and sometimes long stretches of nothing.  There's a lot of time spent filling these 100 minute Serials (and 150 Minute!) with time, and sometimes they pad the wrong bits.  But hey, we're all learning.  The audience (of 1964) and the directors and producers and writers are learning how this thing goes.

Rating: Enjoy it!  This season had only one Bear it, and no Skip Its.  Conversely, no Love Its.  It's falling into a pattern - which is sometimes dangerous, but here, at least it means we're settling in for the long haul. With 26 Seasons of Classic Who and the Paul McGann Movie, before we even begin the new era which is at Seven season as I write this, it's good to see the show simply be consistently good, instead of the wild fluctuations.  I do hope we see more Love Its soon, the brilliance of Season One far outweighed the bad.  I really want some of the wonderful writing to return.

Best Lines:


  •  During all the years I've been taking care of you, you in return have been taking care of me. You are still my grandchild and always will be. But now, you're a woman too. I want you to belong somewhere, to have roots of your own. With David you will be able to find those roots and live normally like any woman should do. Believe me my dear, your future lies with David and not with a silly old buffer like me. One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. Goodbye Susan. Goodbye my dear.
  • That is the dematerializing control, and that, over yonder, is the horizontal hold. Up there is the scanner; those are the doors; that is a chair with a panda on it. Sheer poetry, dear boy! Now please stop bothering me.


Alright Folks, that's Season Two.  Season Three begins Next!!